Counselling for children and young people with mild, moderate and severe learning difficulties.
I work psychotherapeutically and developmentally with pupils while supporting the parents throughout the time of the work including regular meetings with parents/carers. I work within a multi-agency context as well as keeping in regular contact with class teams. I liaise with professionals in the school such as educational psychologists, occupational therapists and speech and language therapists while keeping in contact with agencies outside of the school who are involved with the child. Along with this I write reports for annual reviews and outside agencies working with a child.
- I run groups for parents, to think with them about problems they may be having at home with their children, and help them to gain a deeper understanding of their children, their communication, their behaviour and their learning difficulties.
- I run groups for staff in schools, where they can explore the meanings of pupils’ behaviours and gain a deeper understanding of these. This can give staff a greater capacity to develop positive relationships with pupils, and this in turn can help pupils achieve more of their potential.
- I run bespoke INSET training on a variety of topics to suit the needs of your school.
- I give presentations to schools on how I work with their pupils and what can be expected.
- I can use PECS and Makaton with children, if needed.
You can contact me through this website to arrange a meeting at your school to discuss what you would like. Prior to beginning any work in your school, I always like to give a presentation on the work to school staff so they have an understanding of what I am doing.